Capri-Sun’s ongoing commitment to recycling and eco-friendly packaging
That’s when we first launched our innovative lightweight pouch with its comparably low carbon footprint.
Thanks to this pouch, there was no need to add preservatives or artificial flavours and colours to capture the great natural fruity taste of our juice drink. And that is a very big plus.
Since 1969, we’ve been reducing our packaging’s carbon footprint even further by reducing the materials needed to produce and transport it. Today, our pouch weighs 80% less than an equivalent PET bottle.
Although the pouch consists of very thin layers of foil and plastic, it is recyclable through a process that separates the different materials. Yet, not all recycling plants in all countries where Capri-Sun is sold, have the technology to do this.
And this is why our journey of improving our packaging is far from over.
We’re moving quickly to find a solution that will replace our current packaging with a fully recyclable alternative – without sacrificing the significant ecological advantages we have already achieved, or the production without preservatives or artificial flavours and colours.
Capri-Sun Fact: As a market leader we recognise our important role in reducing the impact of packaging waste on the environment and in developing best practice.
The advantages of Capri-Sun’s packaging
- Our unique packaging is an innovative way to preserve our natural ingredients and removes the need for preservatives and artificial flavours or colours from our drinks.
- It’s incredibly lightweight: a 200ml pouch weighs in at just 4g, that’s 80% lighter than an equivalent PET bottle (21g).
- Our packaging contributes to just 6% of our total transported weight – the rest is accounted for by our great tasting drinks inside the pouch.
- We’ve been continually working on further reducing the weight of our packaging – in the last 25 years we have reduced the amount of foil required by 33% and reduced all the material needed by 23%.
- Our straw in a wrapper provides a hygienic way for kids and adults to enjoy our drinks.
- Our pouch's unique design is convenient, durable and fun for kids. It maintains the freshness of our juice drink.
The Capri-Sun packaging of the future
Nearly two-thirds of the materials we use are already recycle ready. Our focus in the next few years is to bring the rest up to speed.
To help us achieve this, our own innovation team is working with technicians and scientists from universities, research centres and global suppliers.
Capri-Sun Fact: Nearly two-thirds of the materials we use are already recycle ready or biodegradable. Our focus in the next few years is to bring the rest up to speed.
We're looking for a packaging alternative that will allow us to continue to produce Capri-Sun without adding preservatives, artificial colours or flavours – and it must be flexible, durable and lightweight to keep a minimal carbon footprint during transport and production.
Finding this perfect balance takes time and expertise: but we are committed to getting there as quickly as we can.